Wednesday, November 16

James Andrew Atkins

As I mentioned the other day, Jonathan and I went to visit Daniel and Riss. 
We had a really fun visit with them. We just hung out, went for a walk, and ate some really good food. Typical for one of our gatherings. Oh, wait, that walk...I should say more about that walk. You see, Riss was a couple of days overdue with that sweet baby. I'd teased her about packing a bag and walking to the hospital, so that by the time she got there she'd be in labor! Well, we went for a walk around a nearby lake instead. Jonathan kept wanting to go further, but there was seemingly no end in sight. So, we talked him into turning around...and since no water had broken...I guess Jonathan thought there should be some sort of awkward water situation, so he stepped into a huge mud puddle that covered his foot up to the ankle. 

We went on about our visit-as-usual. 
Jonathan and I were planning to return home first thing (if 9am can be called first thing) Sunday morning. Then we got the phone call. It was Daniel. She was in labor...and had been at the hospital since 1am. (he also alerted me to a text message he'd sent much earlier which read: 'the water broke we are going to the hospital riss says to say thanks')

I have never before been in the waiting room of the hospital when a new baby has been born. There was a lot of anticipation. You see, my sister-in-law decided to go the old-fashioned route and NOT find out the gender of the baby she carried. I have known a handful of people who have made that choice and it is always SUCH fun when the baby is born to finally find out! (makes the pre-planning a bear, but totally worth it in the end) So, there we sat in the waiting room, going back and forth with reasons we could believe it was a boy, or a girl.  Each time the big door opened we were all on alert to see if it was Daniel. When he did come through the door...declaring that Baby James was here...it was THE SWEETEST thing! 
I loved being there for that moment.

Auntie Amy and Uncle Jonathan 
This is right after he told us the news...that is my i'm-so-excited-i-can-hardly-stand-it face. 


And here is baby James. 
James Andrew
8lbs. 5 oz. 23 inches
 Sunday, November 13, 2011
10:45am


Did you see that length? I don't know that I've ever heard of a baby being that long...at least not one that came out of a mama who is barely over 5 ft. tall!! His legs are nearly as long as his mama's already!

He had quite the time getting out into the world. The Dr. used the phrase "tight fit" and there was a vacuum involved. The tight fit is believed to have caused him to have what was discovered to be an acute phemothorax (air between the lungs and rib cage). He came out gasping a bit. Shortly after birth he was transferred to another hospital with a NICU. They took care of the problem easily, but he has to stay there through the duration of antibiotics. 
This is very hard on his mom (and dad, i'm sure). 

They are totally in love with the new guy! I am so happy for them and for our family.



No comments:

Post a Comment